Friday, May 8, 2009

Prosperity Thoughts – Sore Ankle-1

I am writing this with a very sore ankle. Well, I am writing this by typing on my computer keyboard with my fingers while my ankle is sore. Having a sore ankle would not seem to impact my writing, but today I am grumpy. Since I am blaming my ankle for making me grumpy, then I guess my sore ankle is impacting my writing. Normally, writing while grumpy is not an optimum plan, but I think there is a blessing in this which leads to a point that I think may be helpful to you.


The first point is simply that I am choosing to let my sore ankle impact my mood. That is a choice that I make because I have been conditioned by our embedded human consciousness to blame my moods on things outside of myself. Carrying this one step further, I am choosing to blame embedded race consciousness for my own lack of accountability for how I feel in relation to my sore ankle.


I could just as easily not allow my sore ankle to affect my mood or my writing. Why would I decide to allow my sore ankle generate a grumpy mood and affect my writing? It stands to reason that I would do this only when I perceive that there is a positive payoff. Even if my pay off calculation is entirely unconscious, I must believe that somehow I will be rescued in some fashion. Thus, it follows that my rational short term choice is to play victim, blame my sore ankle on my mood and try and reap the supposed rewards.


If you have read this far, then you know this is not empowered living. This is victim thinking. As I mentioned earlier, I could just as easily choose to be in a good mood even with a sore ankle. I could consciously recognize that the consequences of being in a grumpy mood will create a vibration of grumpy energy that will come back into my life. Faced with this awareness, it only makes sense to choose to be grateful and joyful not matter what my circumstances.


To those of you that might think this is hard to do, I introduce to you Phil Packer. He is about to finish the London Marathon, a 26 mile run. He will come in dead last- about 13 days behind all of the other runners. He is very very sore and not the least bit grumpy. You see just over a year ago he was serving as a military policeman in Iraq. One day sirens went off warning of a mortar attack. He got out of his vehicle and took cover but the vehicle rolled over on him and crushed him terribly.


Phil was paralyzed from the waist down. The initial prognosis was that it was likely Phil would never be able to walk at all. The doctors said he just did not have the coordination to take steps. It takes a huge amount of his concentration to send a message from his brain to his legs because his spine is crushed. He was determined to focus his will and walk unaided. (Phil of course uses crutches). It took him months of hard work, and just a couple of months before the London Marathon he had progressed to being able to walk unaided. A few weeks before the Marathon start date he could walk just one mile per day.


Now, he is able to walk about two miles per day- the maximum that his doctors believe is safe for him. At this rate, it will take 13 straight days to walk the London Marathon. (He should finish Saturday, May 9th, 2009).


Is he grumpy about this?


No. He feels very fortunate to have any mobility. He has turned this accident into a blessing by using it to raise money for those at the surgical center that helped him recover. He said that while in the surgical recovery program he needed something to motivate himself during some very dark and painful times.


We all, each of us, have the same capability of this sort of grit and determination. There is a choice that we face with every circumstance. We can find a way to turn it into a blessing or we can claim we are victims. If we want prosperity, then we find the blessing in what ever circumstance we face. If we choose prosperity then we trust Spiritual Law to manifest it for us.


In reading about Phil, my sore ankle doesn’t seem like such a big deal anymore. In writing this, I can tell that I am not so grumpy. Nothing changed but my attitude. Everything changed when my attitude shifted.

No comments: