Saturday, May 9, 2009

Health and Prosperity- Sore Ankle-2

Sore Ankle- part 2


This evening I have a very sore ankle. I am thinking about my good fortune and prosperity and believe there is a golden nugget to share with you about this. Prosperity is often understood by many to mean having all the money you can spend. An expansive view of prosperity might include having all the money you can spend and the good health to enjoy all of your wealth. It might even include having money, health and all the good friends that money can buy.


I think prosperity is something different. I believe that prosperity is having the consciousness to manifest all of your good with ease and grace. “All of your good” includes constructive and supportive relationships, it includes having all of your physical needs met on time and abundantly, and it includes an evolution of soul that is often hard to see in the moment as good.


My ankle is sore because I have gout. I have gout because my body produces more uric acid than it eliminates. Even with modern medication to impact uric acid production, I still have symptoms of gout. Why might this happen? My brother has gout too, so it is likely an inherited trait. Still, my gout only flares up periodically. My activity and exercise do not change radically. My diet is good and is stable. Why would gout flare up now and not at other times?


Traditional mind body metaphysical thinking suggests that stress can impact our immune system and produce reactionary physical symptoms such as gout. Stress is caused by a consciousness that is attempting and failing to predict and control outcomes and dictate events. We get attached to a certain strategy for a period in our life. The emotional response to our perception that our strategy is not manifesting correctly (to our specifications) is grief. But rather than feel this grief, we choose to believe that if we worry and struggle harder we can change the outcome to be more in alignment with our preferences.


That worrying consciousness is fear based and leads to stress. It is a sign of resistance to our good. The energy expended in resistance depletes our immune system and throws our body out of optimum balance which then manifests physical symptoms such as gout. The solution here is to release our resistance and allow the fear to wash over us into grief. As we do this, we naturally surrender more and more fully until we reach a state of peace. In this condition of peaceful surrender, our body has the optimum conditions to replenish itself and thus heal itself. The basic premise of this approach is that the physical ailments are unhealthy. They are seen as symptoms of a problem and are a signal that we are off track.


This may be very true, but there is also a catch. Seeing physical symptoms as a warning is still a fear based approach to living. Reacting with fear to a health challenge is not a consciousness of surrender, instead it is still a symptom of trying to predict and control outcomes. It is a consciousness focused on managing our health care. This is not to say that a proactive response is not called for when we feel illness or pain in our body. Many times this is exactly what is being signaled and is exactly what is needed.


I once worked in a job where I had a very sore back. I was a new hire and had been given a very old and broken down chair. I complained and they got me a new ergonomic lumbar support chair. The symptoms went away for a week or so and then they returned. I thought that perhaps I was not getting enough exercise and began to swim every day during lunch. That did little to alleviate my back pain. I thought it might be stress related and so began to relax more and meditate more and work less hours and so forth. The back pain lessened but was not entirely alleviated.


I finally, against my will, left that job and went to work for myself. My back pain promptly disappeared. Obviously, I was under stress in my former job- it was not the right situation for me and my body’s pain was communicating this to me. The pain got my attention, but I did not have the willingness of my own accord to take the steps to alleviate my pain. It took me getting fired before I realized what was causing my back pain was my attachment to the security of working for others rather than co- creating my own life.


If prosperity is about security and a good paying job then I have nothing to teach. I think prosperity is about allowing our good to flow to us in every situation. Following my true nature and soul’s calling healed my back pain. No amount of lumbar support, stretching, exercise, meditation and relaxation would be any help in the face of me not living my own life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really dug this posting... I struggle with stress in my life and this was a fresh perspective. Thanks for taking the time to collect your thoughts and put them down.