Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chaos Uncertinity and Divine Order

Chaos, Uncertainty and Divine Order

The science of economics indicates that people tend to be mostly rational about their choices around prosperity. In times of falling home prices, people wait to purchase a home to see if they can get a better deal, in times of raising gas prices, people tend to drive less. If Roma tomatoes are on sale this week, we might buy Roma tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. Each month we make millions of economic decisions that are based on the data uppermost in our mind

Coupled with these basically rational choices are a number of unstated assumptions which may or may not be useful. I like a certain brand of Blue Cheese dressing and do not like other brands of Blue Cheese dressing. (In fact I do not like any other type of dressing on my salad either). When the brand I like is on sale, I will buy two or three jars even if I only need one jar now. When it is not on sale, I will just buy one jar. My basic assumption is that the dressing will not be on sale every week, but it will be on sale sometime soon. Moreover, my basic assumption is that the store will be open each week.

These basic assumptions are woven into our thinking at such a deep level that we are not often aware of them and rarely examine them. They exist surrounding every area of our lives and become ingrained into our thinking. For example, when I lived in California there were many sunny days and so oftentimes I would think of taking a walk but wait till later in the afternoon because I had a few others things to do. This basic assumption collided with reality when I moved to Oregon where there is an occasional glimmer of sun for a short while but rarely an entire day that is sunny. I had to re evaluate my basic assumption about walks to adapt to Oregon weather patterns and now take my walk the moment I see the sunshine.

Our unconscious basic assumptions impact our ability to relate to a Higher Power in a profound way and are often determinative of our ability to thrive and prosper. If we have unconsciously embedded ideas from our childhood world view then our otherwise rational decision making process is entirely skewed.

One area for potent inquiry is the relationship of Divine Order to our experience of chaos and uncertainty. If we had a chaotic childhood with lots of seemingly irrational events occurring all the time, then examining our thinking about the role of a Higher Power in our prosperity consciousness my lead to a sense of well-being that would otherwise be missing.

Each personal spiritual journey is unique and so reactions to similar conditions might lead to very different basic assumptions so it is unwise to generalize too much. Prolonged exposure to chaos as a youngster might lead one child to an overly developed desire to control their world as an adult. It may be just as likely though that a child growing up a chaotic environment might adopt a chaotic lifestyle. It is vital not to judge the prior assumptions as bad or unhealthy. This just brings about more shame. Instead, the initial transformational opportunity here to use our free will and discernment to determine in a compassionate way the embedded assumptions which define the core of our thinking and gently see if these concepts support us to thrive now.

As noted in a prior chapter, I believe that the world is ordered and responsive. That means that there is a rational and soothing process by which I can interact with this Higher Intelligence to co create a better life. This Higher Intelligence is a benefactor to me and all humanity. There are, of course, times in my life when I am faced with uncertainty. So long as I can be present to the uncertainty with this underlying theology of Divine Order, I am usually able to remain calmly open. I trust that my good is inherently operational in every situation. I know that no matter how it looks in the moment that my experience is not chaotic and unpredictable. Instead, my world is responding to my most profound prayers and unfolding for my ultimate good.

It seems to me that some people say they believe in a Higher Power as a nurturing organizing force for good but on a deeper unconscious level hold the idea that the world is chaotic and unpredictable. Since all our actions are typically influenced from our most deeply held belief, people with this mind set will react to a change in circumstances from a world view of chaos and unpredictability no matter what they may say they believe about God. This means they are less likely to remain in open surrender to the changes and instead will react from their habitual resistance to chaos or unpredictability. They may become protective, defensive or combative.

In terms of pure prosperity consciousness, folks with this way of thinking then unconsciously resist the unfolding of their own good by reacting irrationally when things begin to feel out of our control. Change is happening all the time, but when our consciousness remains fixed, then the details of our life shift but our basic state remains the same. We get evicted from one relationship and fall into an equally dysfunctional one. We loose one job and find another that is just as unsatisfying. We clear up one health challenge and find other symptoms right around the corner. Pretty soon we begin to feel there are no good romantic partners out there. We sense that we are jinxed in our career. Our friends call us hypochondriacs.

Transformation arises when we are able to remain calmly aware of our deepest mind set in the middle of massive change. When we hold as the core truth of our existence a world view that there is a benevolent presence within us guiding and supporting our good, then we experience the uncertainty as an opening to a new way of living rather than something to be feared or managed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What I find interesting is for some situations I behave completely rationally, and others completely irrationally. In cases where I'm being irrational, it may seem perfectly reasonable to me in the moment until I reflect on it or someone else helps me see it.